Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speaker Volume versus Volume Knob 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesnguyen

Electrical
Sep 6, 2010
Hi,

For Speaker Volume control, do we typically control Volume Knob voltage in linear scale (Volt) against the gain of the speaker Amp in log scale (dB)? In other words, is there typically a logarithmic relationship between the volume knob and the speaker volume?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because it's just that much betta...

see the section concerning volume controls:

In any case, it still depends on the designer, and the intended customer. So-called "audiophiles" or possibly hard rockers probably want log, but the rest of us are satisfied with linear. Well, who knows, there is some satisfaction in being able to double the volume with a single click, isn't there?

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

"11" :)

Does a wireless phone have a volume knob?

If it really is a old-fashioned potentiometer, then the default choice for a volume control is a "log taper".

Some log taper potentiometers even have a tap for inclusion of the "Loudness" circuit.

According to Hoyle (joke) mid-way should be 10% power (or about "half" according to human perception), and 100% should only be reached at maximum. In practice, most reach full power long before maximum and provide only additional distortion over the last portion.

If it's buttons, then 1 or 2 dB per step is the norm. 1dB is the smallest perceptible change, so 2dB is close enough for most purposes.

I hate the 'log' volume on the Sync in my Ford. They went with straight binary for the volume control, so at low volumes it is 0%, 50%, 100%, 150%...

I've often thought about putting resistors in series with the speakers just so I could listen a few bits over on the digi-pot where it would be a bit more subtle (99.2%, 99.6%, 100%). I guess my hearing is just still better than it is supposed to be at my age.

John D

But why not just make 10 louder? ;-)

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Lets say you are dueling guitars on stage, and the other bloke has his amp turned all the way up to 10. Then it is you turn for a sweet lick. You want to be able to go 1 better, so you can turn it up to 11. "Its one louder". The other guy is stuck at 10 with nowhere to go.

Maguffin Microwave wireless design consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back