Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spec for fast machine for running wildfire 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVE77

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2005
GB
Hello,
I have been using Pro-E wildfire 2 for 2 years now and I have been asked to get a good spec together for a new machine for myself.

Can you give me a list of the spec you would recommend including graphics card etc(I am running 2 screens)

Thanks

DS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We just had a new machine built and got a P4 3.4, 2GB RAM, SATA drives, etc. We got a Quadro graphics card for it (I don't remeber the specific model). For processor, I would be looking at the new Intel processors, they have been benchmarking very well. Graphics cards: At our firm, we have always used gaming cards with very good luck. They are consistantly less expensive and for the work we do (complex surfacing, plastic products, and assemblies smaller the 100pcs), they work great. I just got a nVidia 6800 GT for home and it works very well and doesn't have the window limitations that nVidia used to have. My experience has been, however, that nVidia cards seem to work better with Pro/E than ATI cards (in the couple of cards I've used).

Good luck.

------------
Jason Williams
K Development, Inc.

If you haven't already checked the hardware support section of PTC's website then check here for some examples.

Dual Monitor Support

Limited dual monitor support is provided in Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 on the Windows platform. PTC has successfully performed limited testing of some graphics card models from 3DLabs, ATI and NVIDIA that support dual monitor capabilities. If your graphics card is certified for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 and provides dual monitor support**, PTC expects that it will run in this mode without issue. PTC will provide limited support to resolve issues arising when running in dual monitor mode, however, the entire solution will not be submitted for formal certification as a complete configuration.

PTC has tested and officially supports the following graphics cards. This list is not meant to be a comprehensive listing of cards with dual monitor capabilities and it does not represent a shift from PTC's policy of certifying complete systems.
PTC's Support Policy.

Supported and tested graphics cards:
ATI FireGL XL1
3DLabs Wildcat VP 990 Pro
NVIDIA Quadro4 900XGL, 980XGL and FX 2000

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back