Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Special bolt requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is for security locking, so that standard socket spanners don't work.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

I understand the principle, but doubt these are fabricated according to a certain standard.
I have got lots of European fastener standards, but haven't seen those yet. Not saying it doesn't exist, it's just unlikely you could specify them according to a European standard.
Which is weird, as it's a metric thread, so searching for USA specs don't make much sense either.

There will be no standard for a head of that design- it will be a pure special. You will need to develop the dimensions for the bolt head and driver tools. You will run into either a minimum lot charge or minimum run size to justify the tooling cost for the manufacturer. If the volume is very low you could just CNC mill that profile.
From a manufacturing standpoint, that will be a "interesting" part to head- all that material off to one side is going to create some serious eccentric force on the header tooling- you will likely have a some underfill on the top outside corner of the eccentric.

Judging by the fact that there are photographs of both the fastener and the tool required to install it, they already exist. Ask the customer for a specification for the fastener.

Thanks all. I have requested the customer for a sample. It is a Korean reference.

Mahatma Gandhi.

Not sure what is offset from what but that looks like the camber adjustment screws we use on some cars. I will check with Jimmie Johnson, he still owes me a ride.

if they want a security nut, why not use something like the locking nuts on car wheels ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

BUGGAR said:
Not sure what is offset from what but that looks like the camber adjustment screws we use on some cars. I will check with Jimmie Johnson, he still owes me a ride.
Its "similar" but the first "washer" feature is concentric with the bolt.. A camber bolts "washer" is eccentric

If the official wrench is the one shown in the picture with a T handle there may be a strong tendency to loosen over time when the hoodlums giving the soda machine a good shaking late at night, every night.

Or maybe there is a special socket tool that engages the T handle and a conventional square drive socket wrench, thus permitting torquing the fastener.

Tmoose, it is to prevent such misadventures, a special bolt is envisaged . I truly appreciate all for their time and efforts.

Happy Weekend.

Mahatma Gandhi.

Even with a special driver, do not expect to be able to generate significant torque on that head without wedging the driver in the socket. Those eccentric heads have had issue with that over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back