Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Special Inspections - "minor nature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliEng

Structural
Feb 14, 2020
US
CA building codes provides an exemption for special inspection for "construction of a minor nature" (1704.2). Seems completely subjective. Is this up to the engineer to decide? For instance, I have a project (going to permit and requiring other SIs) but one aspect requiring maybe one cuyd of concrete in total. Potentially can be conducted by the conctractor, but if SI is required, then will need additional contractor for a very small job. Is this up to the engineer or the permitting agency to dictate what is required?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my area the building official describes any exceptions or modifications to the adopted model building code, this is where they go ahead and specify what types of construction are exempt from special inspections etc.

As a caveat, the engineer of record should identify any types of construction that are critical or not conventional that may need inspection and indicate that on their plan. Basically I am saying, it should never be up to the engineer when to relax the inspection requirements, but it is in the engineer's purview to identify anything that needs to be looked at beyond what the code says.

In my region, the building officials use the State engineering regulations to determine this. If an engineer is required by law to design it, then special inspections are required (though the building official may still have some latitude to relax requirements further if the DOR does not object).

Screenshot_2022-09-11_095850_zcp7ft.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back