Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specific Mapkeys Problem (copy/paste)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashif Naseem

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2017
SA
Hello all,

I am design engineer in well known HVAC company. I am new to pro-e and recently I have developed several mapkeys to make my work faster which it has. The problem I am facing is during the making of bending drawings for each part, the work is very time consuming and it contains alot of repeated clicks that just waste time.

I am looking to develop a mapkey which does the following task when I hit the button 'record':

1. open rename, copy the name of the part and press cancel
2. open save a copy window and paste the specific opened part name which it has copied.

now the problem occurs due to mapkey not copying different part names for different part. it basically just pastes the name of the part which i originally did during record. Is there anyway to develop this mapkey so that I can use this command for 100's of parts and work efficiently?

A detailed answer would be much appreciated with clear steps. That would be very much helpful.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In general I don't know, because mapkeys don't record process - they record results. For example: it won't record the name of a feature on a list, it will record the list position that was clicked on. This makes it difficult to duplicate what it seems to be doing when using a mapkey on a different part than it was recorded in. In your case it records the value that is entered into the save window, not the paste process.

I don't understand why you are trying to save a copy with a name that is already being used.

If you know the names you can create a prototype mapkey that can be generated by an Excel VBA program and the names replaced by the VBA program; You need to know how to create a program that can open a text file, write information to it, and close the file and how to use variables. I can't commit to fixing such programs so it's important to learn how; there are many tutorials on the Internet. You can edit mapkeys with Microsoft Notepad and see how the commands are applied and where the variables should be written to create your own.

@3DDave Thank you for your reply.

before posting a cry for help in this forum, I had done my research and had many people suggested each other than VBA scripts will make my task possible. The problem is i have no idea how to do that. I am looking for any individual who can just guide me how. Maybe not in details but atleast tell me what do I do.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back