Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

specification software

Status
Not open for further replies.

alehman

Electrical
May 23, 1999
US
Is anyone looking at either of these cloud apps?

My firm currently uses Masterspec and we have been told it is being phased out this year and the replacement is a cloud based service called Specpoint. We got a demo account of Specpoint from our sales rep, but frankly the pricing we are being quoted is ridiculous (works out to >5x what we're currently paying for Masterspec). Also, I found the software to be less than user friendly and somewhat glitchy. In addition, it will require a substantial change in our traditional (30+ years) workflow with Masterspec. It's set up based on 'assemblies'. You select the assemblies you want, and it tells you what spec sections to include. I guess this is intended to facilitate integration with BIM. You can choose sections on your own, but it's not really set up to work that way. I feel like Deltek is jumping into the deep end, trying to eliminate Masterspec before the replacement is really ready.

We are also looking at SpecLink. It is not great to work with either, but feels less glitchy than SpecPoint. It looks to be less than half the price. It is also cloud based and would require substantial workflow change. The technical content is not as detailed, which is probably OK for a lot of projects, but would not suffice for some. I am just staring to look at their division 1 specs.

I'm curious about other experiences. Has anyone tried to do a real project with Specpoint?
Thanks,
Alan

Alan
The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is. Unk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back