Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specifications for Contract Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Structural
Dec 13, 2000
MS
Hi All,

I am trying to put together a contract document for some "minor civil works construction". Does anyone know where i can find some general specifications online?. Typically for excavation, concrete works, formworks etc...

Thanks in advance
SN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a couple of suggestions. One is to try using your local (state) highway or municipal engineering departments. They very often have standard specifications available. These have the advantage of being familiar to local contractors. You could assemble a whole project just by referencing them.
Another good resource is to look at some recent public works projects put out to bid in your area. These projects are in the public domain (you wouldn't be doing anything unethical using them as a reference) and should also reflect local practices. Sometimes these contract documents are even on-line.

Here are a few thougths to consider:

1. In my opinion, the type of project makes a difference in what specifications you pattern your project after. A public works project for state or local government work is much different that a project for a private owner.

2. If you are in the public sector, then JedClampett's suggestion is applicable. If you are in the private sector then Rjeffery's suggestion applies.

3. In either case, tailor your specification to the specific project you are working on. Standard specifications, like MasterSpec or a state or municipal spec. try to provide a basis for all types of jobs. Sections that do not pertain to your job, references to outdated standards etc., should be updated for your specific job. Just taking an "off the shelf" specification is an invitation for trouble.

Jheidt is right. Is this private or public? I would suspect private since most public agencies will direct you as to what specs they want you to use. For private, there are a number of resources with some already mentioned. Another is the Greenbook (one word) for general public work specs. Look under a popular web bookstore. If it's free you want, then there are tons of public agency postings of their specs. But be warned, these are specs the owners designed to protect their interest and may not apply to what you want as having a desired effect. In Arizona the MAG specs are widely used:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back