Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specified Minimum Yield strength of the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joli21

Mechanical
Apr 28, 2007
AU
What is the relationship between Specified Minimum Yield strength of the pipe and allowable stress value and which one must be considered in finding maximum allowable working pressure of the pipe?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what code you are using. Some codes DEFINE an "allowable stress" for particular materials (often a percentage of SMYS combined with safety factors for pipe type, joint factors, etc.) and some codes CALCULATE allowable stresses based on class location design factors times the SMYS. Chemical plant codes tend towards the first method, because of homogenous characteristics found within a chemical plant, as opposed to design of a pipeline. Pipeline codes use the second method, since they cross many different areas where safety factors do not need to be held to one single value, temperatures not as high, tight piping not as common, etc.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Tnx for your useful information, in fact i am going to calculate Maximum safe working pressure for a peace of pipe(material is Incoloy alloy 825)I've got specified minimum yield strength and i don't know if i should put it on the formula or must multiply by a design factor?if so , what design factor should i apply to the minimum yield?

Ok, let me tell you the story, there is a Test jig for for excavation purpose, it has 3 different pipe materials coupled together, nobody knows about the alloy , all we could measure are Wall thickness, Alloy types (PMI and Replication,hardness) and out side Diameter of pipes.
Now, i am going to Maximum allowable working pressure of each section. I want to know wich part of API can help me to do. and which formula? i couldn't findn any formula like ASME 31.3 in API.
please advise me.
tnx

What do you mean by "test jig" for excavation purposes.

That dosn't sound like its a pipeline, refinery or power plant, so why are you looking for a "API" piping code to design excavation equipment?

Just because it might look like a pipe and have internal pressure does not mean you use a pipe design code. Pipe sections are sometimes used in structural design, but the structural engineers do not use a piping code.

Piping codes can have allowable stress up to 80% of yield strength. Excavation equipment components might be designed to only 25%-50% of yield stress.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

tnx for reply,i found a API sign on one section of equipment that endorsed by inspection body. so other sections have different materials and no stamps. what formula usually use for calculating MAWP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back