Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Specify dimension origin point on 3d solid corners in AC 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark84106

Industrial
Jul 31, 2003
US
Could anyone tell me how to keep the extension lines and arrows on the exact corners of 3d solids? e.g. I'll draw a 3d box and dimension it and the dimensions in front view will look fine but when I go to orbit they're way off. I've been checking "Mastering AutoCad 2004" and can't find it. I've searched the internet and couldn't find anything either. Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Same deal as in your other thread.

Dims are always in the Z=0 plane. Be sure to set your UCS to match the plane of the object you want to dimension and set the origin so that your entities are at Z=0.

One of the UCS options is to define the origin, X-axis direction, and Y-axis direction.

First, rotate your view (using "_3dorbit") so that you can see the face that you want to use as your dimensioning plane. Rotate it so that you can distinguish between points with same X & Y but different Z coordinates.

Type
"_ucs"
"_3"

Follow the prompts to define your origin and axes. Subsequent dims will be in the new X-Y plane; ordinate dims will be based off of the new origin.

smcadman,
after I pick face it asks Enter an option (next/xflip/ yflip) <accept>.
What do these mean. I just want all my dimensions to touch or get as close as possible to the object I'm dimensioning.

You can control the point of the dimesion by using your snaps. In the case of the box, you would either want to pick the endpoint snap (box) or for the middle pick the midpoint snap (triangle). You can set this up to on all the time or partial time by using the shift + right mouse and you should see all kinds of picking options for geometry. You can cycle threw the different snaps by hitting the tab button once one appears. It will go threw all the snaps that would apply for that type of geometry and it will grab near by geometry also and do the same.

A good way to think about the UCS being on a face is imagining laying a piece of paper on that face. The UCS is flat, the paper way is a good way to imagine it when you are placing. Hope this helps

Next - cycle to an adjacent face on the solid
xflip - rotate the ucs 180 degrees around x-axis
yflip - rotate the ucs 180 degrees around y-axis

What you're looking for is to have your XY plane to contain the two points between which you're dimensioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back