Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spectrophotometers: opinions on trading up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmer

Structural
Dec 17, 2003
CA
We have a Hach DR2000 Spectrophotometer (new in box, circa 1995) and am considering trading it off for a portable unit - a 'WaterPOINT 870' by Sensicore.

I am a little green regarding in the operator-wise benefits of either machine. Would appreciate any opinions on whether or not to consider the trade-up any further. I don't know if I have a gem here or whether its not worth the effort. It will not see daily/regular use. Mainly for commissioning periods and infrequent checks in many locations.

The upside of the Sensicore product is that is portable and promises the world with many features. On the other hand we've come to rely on Hach equipment;. Hence the hesitation.

Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks.

Kmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks pretty slick, processor-on-a-chip and all that.
Their website doesn't give details but it seems to use a high-tech ion selective electrode (ISE), whereas the Hach unit uses traditional chemical color change reactions. But the ISE is limited to a selected group of measurements. With Hach, one can analyze for a wider range of chemicals by buying their reagents or knowing some EPA Methods chemistry (I have a Water Analysis Manual from Hach even though I don't have a Hach unit).

The 'WaterPOINT 870' would seem to save on consummable chemicals. However, a big disadvantage for an infrequent user of the 'WaterPOINT 870' may be the limited usage life of the ISE:
"ISE Test Kit 100 Profiles
Shelf Life up to 90 days from date of manufacture
Use Life 30 days from date of initial hydration"

We use a Hach 2000 colorimeter on an infrequent basis. It is used to help us diagnose problems, help provide information for preliminary design, and help with startup of treatment plants and chemical feed systems.

Our unit is in a carrying case with a separate case for the reagents. It is battery powered as well as AC so it is a fully portable unit.

I've used the newer Hach model 2400 which is a little nicer as being digital it is easier to set up the tests and results can be stored in it's memory.

I've not used or seen the Sensicore unit; but, we are pleased with the Hach unit. We've had it for over 15 years and not had a lick of problems.

You might also consider the Palintest Model 5000 Delux, similar in operation to the Hach 2000 but fully portable, with sealed individual reagent pills with indefinite shelf life.

I've found the system to be essentially flawless in operation and consistently accurate in analysis after some three years of use.

Orenda

Seems that the cost of consumables is a major consideration. I was completely unaware of the shelf life.

Really appreciate your replies folks. Very helpful.

Kmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back