Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed control of single phase motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedzrt800

Electrical
Jun 28, 2005
US
I have a 115volt 1750 rpm 8.2 amp single phase motor. What options are available to control the motors speed, excluding sprocket sizing? Where it is a single phase motor is a drive possible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

single phase motor speed can be varied by regulating the voltage input using resistors / inductors / electronic regulators. This should be similar to controlling the speed of domestic ceiling fans.

Not all single phase motors can be successfully controlled by electronic means. Typically only Shaded Pole motors, such as typically used in cieling fans mentioned above, Universal (AC/DC) motors, such as found in Variable Speed hand tools like drills, and Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) motors. Other types have issues with capacitors and speed switches that get in the way. What kind of motor do you have?

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
Nikola Tesla

Thank you both for the reply. What I found was that even with a variable transformer the single phase motor had two issues.
1. It overheat
2. There was a loss of torque in this application.
My solution was to couple and additional 5:1 ratio gearbox on to the existing 30:1 that gave me the desire maintained speed and torque without the ability to vary the speed.
Not everything I needed but nevertheless a viable solution.
Regards,
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back