Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Speed of inserting toolbox parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmongan

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2004
US
We have our "SolidWorks Data" (formerly known as "Toolbox Parts") directory on a server that everyone in our group accesses all day long. Nothing about this server is slow. We work with 1000 piece assemblies off of it just fine.

However, when I go to insert a toolbox fastener of any type it takes between 30 seconds and 5 minutes for the box to pop up where you can choose your fastener size.

The server is located close to our primary group and we have a 100MB connection to it, this is when the access takes about 30 seconds.

Our secondary group is about a mile away in another building, and they only have a 10mb connection. I know thats pathetic, but that is the way it is right now. We do have fiber optic cabeling going over there, the hardware just needs updating. Anyway when somone from that building goes to insert a toolbox fastener the wait is between 2-5 minutes, usually closer to 5 min. The largest toolbox fastener we use has 15 configs right now and is about 2.3 meg in size.

Has anyone else seen there toolbox parts get so large so quickly, and have you seen the same type of speed issues?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After a little more review, on my local machine with the 100MB connection it doesnt matter if I bring in the largest 2.3 meg fastener or the smallest 111k fastener, it still takes about 30 seconds before I can even choose the size I want.

Can anyone using toolbox on a network, share with me their average time needed to insert a fastener. Particularly how log it takes until the dialog box appears where you select the fastener size.

Also who type of network connection speed do you have , 10,100, 1 gig?

We put the toolbox on each workstation, but the default directory is on the server. So when a designer pulls a new part from the toolbox a copy is put on the server. So future use is from the server and others can open assemblies without a problem.

Initially we experienced the same slowdown. I think that there is an old webcast on the toolbox setup on the SolidWorks website.

spr:196185

Low performance in displaying toolbox 'select properties' dialog box when custom parameters has items checked (shared environment)

Fixed in sp4 which should be released soon.

Jason

We have the same problem. Toolbox items with custom properties are unreasenably slow when adding them to an assembly. Toolbox items without custom properties behave at normal speed. It takes between 30 a 40 sec. on a 100 Mb network until the dialog box appears.

I've applied SP 4.0 but that makes no difference.

Marc

We had the same problem. The average time was about 1 minute.We contacted our var, and it had to do with our tool box browser settings, and the search path. Now it takes about 2-3 seconds on average to drop in a bolt. I was not directly involved, but I will try to assemble the information on what we did. Try contacting your VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back