Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Speed Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
Has anyone taken and benefited from a speed reading course such as Evelyn Wood. I have bought a book or two on the subject but never taken a course on it, which would at least force me to measure my reading rate more frequently.

I think I read quicker than alot of people I have worked with, but was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this type of training.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For what it is worth I find my reading speed, generally, has slowed, in response to my increasing reading of technical journals and papers. Other scientists and engineers who I know have reported the same thing. The reason is that papers often require thought about each sentence, unlike most textbooks and fiction.

Certainly the techniques of speed reading are useful, for skimming magazines etc. The most useful advice I was given was by a journalist - he said read the first paragraph and the last, the writer knows that these are the least likely to get cut, so that is where he puts the meat of the story.

Cheers

Greg Locock

As usual GregLocock is correct. Speed reading of technical journals and papers is hardly going to help when you need to read, assimilate information, think, and interpret on not only the information provided but many a time on the meaning hidden in between lines. Technical authors unfortunately expect the readers to always have at least the same understanding as their own on the subject being discussed and unless the forum is a real basic one, the writer tends to give information he thinks necessary leaving the rest to you!
A word though, that is why I love this site because even the experts here give you the answers to your queries at your level and in a way you understand it! A special word of thanks to all those experts in this site!

Again speed reading courses or books "would at least force one to measure his/her reading rate more frequently" and thus improve. I agree to this statement of yours. And finally, keep us posted on the outcome of such a course if you indeed attend one! Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
End of all knowledge is the attainment of immortality!

Yes I have always agreed that technical journals and textbooks are the slowest read. They also refer to alot of figures and equations and that slows things down.

I still might take a class sometime. If I do I'll let you know.

Taking a class is always more effective for me than self-study because it forces me to do the work.

Another interesting area I like to read about is memory. I find for classes flashcards were effective for many non-technical subjects, but I also use them now for technical facts. It helps me rapidly review key concepts.

I recently bought a program called EyeQ. This is a new version of a system that has been around for many years. More than 20 years ago I took a course that used the same method as EyeQ and the results were great, that is why I decided to buy it. The main advantage of this program is that is computer based and there are many exercises to strengthen the eyes' muscles, which is very important to improve reading speed. I also includes many reading exercises and keeps track of your progress. Your success depends on how good you are to follow the program.
Regards

HAS anyone here had positive results from any of these training programs? I read fiction and non-technical text fairly quickly, but I attribute this to reading constantly while growing up. Technical literature (as already mentioned) does tend require a slower pace, to absorb/understand the details. If, however, I could increase my speed with the other reading I have to do, I could spend more time on these details.

EngineerDave,

Look at Flash/Photo reading. It trains yourself to develop a photographic mind. It teaches you to flash read books and be able to recall all of the information you just devoured. Though I do not know the extent or retention and I believe that differs between people, but it just may be the thing you are looking for.

I once picked it up as a little hobby and it did improve my reading. However, I found it increase my retention level. Now I am not speaking of anything drastic, but it was enough that I noticed I could recall things a lot better than in the past.

Give it a whirl, worst could happen is you could learn something, right?
Have a nice day!
OhioIE

OhioIE

I got a book called PhotoReading. (I am not afraid to try anything, despite my skepticism).

The beginning of the book focuses on typical speed reading concepts. Where they lost me was the defocusing the eyes. Remember the trick you can do to cross your eyes, put two fingers together and get the floating finger in between? This is the same idea.

Is that what you used?

In any event, for memory, multiple viewings are essential, so anything that can allow you to read quicker will help you read something more times and ultimately aid comprehension.

I love flashcards for memorizing basic facts, all the medical students still use them. I want to get a computer flashcard program and use it like Vtrain (is highly recommended) to aid remembering facts in any area.

I read something anedoctal one time that said if you read something 5 times you are 20 times more likely to remember it. Exposure to any material can be enhanced by higher reading speeds.

I will have to look into that EyeQ as well.

Anything to give me an edge. Of course I'm a lifelong student too!

Yes, as Greg seems to be a guru at most topics, he is right. However, I was one not to be expected to even make it through the first year of college. So I had a hard time learning a lot of the science and material. I started with pictures, memorizing everything. then pictures with a few words, and so on. When I was in college I developed a very good photographic memory. However, I hated flash cards. Everyone is different, try something and see if it works for you.

As for flash card program, if you have Visual Basic, write your own program. It would be quite simple if you know VBA program.

Hope I helped in some way.
Have a nice day!
OhioIE

I find that sometimes when I read, I say the words in my head. The problem with that is my reading speed is limited by my speaking speed. So when I need to read something quickly, I don't say the words in my head.

EngineerDave,
I self taught the Evelyn Wood speed reading from a book and benefitted greatly in my civil engineering work from it. One advantage is that after going through the "fast scans" I can become familiar with the contents and organization of technical information. Then when I need to retrieve detailed technical information, it is possible to find the relevant sections faster for a slower, final reading. It works well for manuals, handbooks, and codes.

I heard an interesting bit about speed reading by Mort Sahl regarding the failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion, Kennedy, and speed reading. Something along the lines of this:

The plan to invade Cuba was originally written for President Truman, who liked everything condensed into a synopsis. It was executed by Kennedy, who liked o speed read. See what happens when you speed read a synopsis!

[bat]Someday, someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back