Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spillway grounding of hydroelectric dam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paykon

Electrical
May 8, 2009
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience on designing gronding for spillway grounding of hydroelectric dam? I would like to have your comments on that?
Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you recommend a separate grounding grid design system for the spillway or connect it to the hydroelectric station ground grid? The generator in the hydroelectric dam is connected by a high resistance to the grid and the fault current is limited. But if there is a fault at the line connected to the station when water flowing through spillway it acts as a zero potential path and creates a good return path for the fault at the line. Any recommendation?

I've no direct experience of this in respect of hydro stations, but one concern I would have is the possibility of dangerous touch or step potentials under fault conditions if the grounding systems are separate. The fact that the spillway grounding creates a good ground return path, by implication much better than without, suggests that this may be an issue.
Regards
Marmite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back