Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spiral Welded Pipe for Oil and Gas Pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francesb

Materials
Aug 2, 2002
NL
Has anyone had experience of using spiral welded pipe for either sweet or sour oil or gas pipelines (API 5L X52, X60 and X70 specs, some produced to NACE MR0175)?
I am looking for case studies and so far have found only "Pipeline Failures in the Grizzly Valley Sour Gas System"; VB Lawson, C Duncan, RS Treseder; Corrosion ’87 Paper 52.
I am particularily interested in experiences of de-watering spiral welded pipe by pigging and any corrosion problems specific to this type of pipe.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Several of the oil/gas operators in Indonesia have used spiral weld pipe for oil & gas service, both onshore and offshore. It was not the prefered material, but since it was a domestic product there was little choice in its use.

It was also used by CALTEX for high pressure steam lines in its Duri Steam flood projects. I understand that one of the spiral weld seams seperated under operation a few months ago while in service.

The major problem I have seen with its use is ovality on the ends and high low in the weld seams. Both of these can be controled by good QC durring manufacture.

I have not heard of any pigging or dewatering related issues with regard to spiral weld pipe.

The majors (particularly in Europe) will not touch it with a barge pole, particularly for gas and certainly not for sour gas.
Most keep looking at it because of the price and then back-off.
I have seen some on surface laid oil lines (not sour) in Algeria but do not know how long it has been there and if there have been any problems.
There are few mills with the ability to provide the consistent quality required.

The other response tells you something about it when they refer to leaks.

I would stick with the seamles first choice for sour oil or gas in the smaller sizes. Go longitudinal welded only when you have to because of the sizes.

Thank you for your comments. The client we were working for was determined to use spiral welded pipe. I think once the costs of producing this type of pipe to NACE MR0175 are accounted for it pushes the cost of spiral welded pipe up from the prices quoted to make it a less attractive choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back