Splice connection of cantilever steel beam rested on / supported by steel beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

h-badawy

Structural
Jan 8, 2015
SA
Dear experts

I have little bit difficult connection for slopped cantilever steel beam rested on a steel beam , the slop of 2% is required by Arch. Engineer for the roof drainage . I make a sketch (see attached)of a proposal connection of the two beams and i need your opinion about it.
209B100E-0F36-418C-9D75-CDEAD9315BD8_qi4ayp.jpg

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I look at this and I now see a continuous beam NOT two cantilevers.
I have seen similar done before where the connection is not made until all of the dead load is applied then the connection only takes live load - but not sure if that is what you are after.
To maintain the cantilever, they must be able to deflect...

Ralph, not sure how not connecting a cantilever until it has dead load on it will work?

h-badawy, it will be similar to a case with the cantilever and back span flat. The biggest difference that jumps out at me will be some prying in the flange plates due to the eccentric loading. Make sure that is accounted for.

Just curious... how do you address the stresses in the main beam for tension across the flange combined with the the main flexural stresses at right angles, in particular if the stresses are high?

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back