Splice Connection to a Historic Steel Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aytacoglu

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2023
GB
Hi All,

I am currently working on a project where an existing PFC channel (7"x3") is going to be cut due to complete section loss to its web (see the attached image below).

The section is going to be cut 400mm from the support location, and the proposal is to provide a new steel section and to splice it to the existing.

One of the questions I have in my mind is that the existing historic channel has a radius and is not flat on the flanges (they have a 95 degree angle, see the screenshot below). Therefore, when a new section is going to be proposed, I am not sure whether this will create issues when connecting the splice plate to the flange.

Another question in mind is that because the PFC section is (7"x3"), I don't have an off the shelf channel section to propose the exactly same dimensioned channel. Do you think that I will have to propose a custom section where the manufacturer will have to manufacture it for us which will match the exact size of the existing beam?

It would be great if anyone can assist me on this!

Proposed_Repair_Detail_kvdq0c.png

Existing_7x3_PFC_i3ziwh.png

New_PFC_rtxt3h.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're going to splice in a new section, I suggest using a channel section with a similar profile as the existing, rather than a PFC, perhaps an MC7x19.1.

However, if the existing flanges are adequate, it would be simpler all the way around to bolt on a plate or plates, to reinforce the web.

Ensure your splice plates are sized to fit between the worst root radius of the two sections and provide steel shim plates on one side to account for the difference in web thickness. With a 3" flange you wont be able have more than one row of bolts top and bottom.

Unlikely to be any considerable momennt to be accounted for 400mm from the support so i'd ensure the web splice is designed to resist the forces.

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back