Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

splice in beams according to ACI318 chapter 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

newdnbea

Structural
Feb 27, 2008
US
according to ACI 318 chapter 21 longitudinal bars in beams of special moment frame are not allowed to be spiced within joints and 2 times of beam depth measured from the face of joints. if i am not misundstanding it the bottom bars in a continuous beam shall be spliced in the mid span of beams. i just feel it is kind of unsafe to do that. what do you guys think? thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

newdnbea,
The idea is not to splice the bars at mid-span generally, here is the commentary:
"Recommended detailing practice would preclude the use of splices in regions of potential yield in members resisting earthquake effects. If use of mechanical splices in regions of potential yielding cannot be avoided, there should be documentation on the actual strength characteristics of the bars to be spliced, on the force-deformation characteristics of the spliced bar, and on the ability of the Type 2 splice to be used to meet the specified performance requirements."

Accordingly, I would try and located the splices at the point’s contraflexure under dead loads.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that they like it

If possible, after looking at some of the photos from Chili, I would also stagger the splices.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

A splice at the mid span will not see much in the way of load reversals or large shears. If I had the choice between splice locations, I'd still put it at the mid-span. However, splicing at 1/4 to 1/3 the span is still better in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back