Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Splicing Ground Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

5wp

Civil/Environmental
Nov 6, 2006
CA
If a ground wire in a wire cable(6/3) nmwu was cut, what would be the correct method of repair? I've heard of using a crimp or a split bolt connector.
It is not practical to rerun a new cable(cost etc).
The ground is about a #10 stranded wire. All of the other conductors are ok.
Open to suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually I was looking for a practical answer to a problem. Sorry you couldn't help. Either way problem needs to be fixed.

You can use any approved splice, splitbolt, compression lug and bolted to the extention ground also with a lug.

I do not think compression splice are allowed, please check on that note.

#10 is not vey big at all at split bolt seems cumbersome to me. I would go with the bolted lug to lug extended ground.

I was not joking. Call your insurance carrier and ask to speak with a technical person familiar with electrical issues. Ask that person what they would consider to be an acceptable repair. Get the answer in writing, and put it in your records.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

What mike said.
You may also phone the electrical inspection department and ask an inspector. If you void your insurance on the building you may not have saved much.
On a practical note: you may locate two junction boxes close together and use the JBs to splice in a section of repair cable. If the ground is broken then the outer covering is also broken. Doubtful if an inspector will pass the cable as servicable. Splices may need to be made in an enclosed junction box in your jurisdiction. Two boxes and a short piece of new cable is awkward but it is safe and legal in many jurisdictions.
Where are you?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Mike does make a good point. If the installation is at all critical, "cost etc." may not be a reasonable excuse for compromise. Be careful not to confuse a practical repair with a quick, cheap repair.

The type of cable suggests an underground installation, and that brings with it the need to seal and protect your repair well enough to make it last for a reasonable time. If underground, is your cable in conduit or direct buried? UG repairs are a place where many people save a few dollars and a little time only to spend more and end up doing the proper repair that should have been done anyway.

thanks for all the answers. I realize that the insurance co. has the final say in the event of. However the inspector gives the go ahead.
In fact I found an old electrician( the best kind) and his answers corresponded to that of the inspectors. Actually the inspector was the last person that I talked to and he commented that I had spoken to a true electrician.
Basically a junction box was put in where the break occurred( rated for proper fill space, etc) and a 6" wire allowance in the box was provided( rather tight, but worked) and that was it.
I only checked this site because I recently moved and had no electrical connections( no pun intended).
I love this site mainly because of the level of knowledge that the guys provide.
Thanks again, sorry for not getting back sooner( out fishing on the West Coast of Canada).
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back