Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splicing Pre-Engineered Wood I-Joists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck67

Structural
Jan 3, 2014
CA
We have encountered some severely deteriorated wood I-joists. The deterioration is due to water infiltration. The existing joists support residential loads and span approximately 20 - 22 ft. The deterioration is restricted to about 16" at one end of the joists, the remainder of each joist is in excellent condition.

Various options are being contemplated at a preliminary stage. Wholesale replacement of these joists would require an inordinate amount of work due to site conditions, etc... Providing a line of new intermediate support is being contemplated, which will allow the ends of the deteriorated members to cut and replaced with short new members, both bearing on the intermediate support beam/wall.

The third option being contemplated is trimming off the deteriorated ends and splicing the 16" end, along with an 8ft to 10ft splice length. The splice would include A) packing the webs both sides to the full width of the flange for the full splice length and B) sistering full depth dimensional lumber each side of the joist for the full splice length. The splice location would be in a low bending, high shear area of the span. Has anyone completed a similar type repair? Any comments or suggestions conceptually before we start putting some numbers to this concept? This is not my preferable option, however, site conditions are very restrictive and if this can be made work, it will be the most constructable option of the bunch.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with boo1 here. If you know the joist manufacturer, they may have a standard splice detail to use that would maintain the joist warranty. However, you will have to call them. There may be a fee involved too.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Where are you at Canuck? There is a detailed report floating around produced for grading & repair conditions of water damaged i-joists that was produced after Southern Alberta got wet two years ago.

Can't quite find it as of now, but I'll ask around once the other eng'rs start rolling in.

EDIT: 4:31PM Jun23 - Senior engineer forgets the name of the report too. I put a call into our Sr Wood guy and Im sure he can give me the name of the report. Sorry for the delay.

Boo1/Msquared48 - Thank you, Joist manufacturer contacted and very hesitant to comment on any splice detail, however, I have been referred to more senior personnel and await their phone call.

Signious, I am in Southern Ontario, therefore a report from Southern Alberta would be very interesting.

We are starting to put numbers to a splice detail and think we can work out something reasonable. It's worth it to throw a bit of extra wood and fasteners at it given the localized extent of the repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back