Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spline compatibility DIN5480 v AND20002 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Smeghead

Aerospace
Jun 3, 2017
US
I have a generator with a 16 tooth spline shaft to the DIN 5480 spec. I need to mate with an internal 16 tooth spline to AND20002. The two specs are nearly identical and, as far as I can tell, will mate. The only difference I can see is the pitch diameter of the DIN shaft is 20.000 mm and the AND receptacle is 0.800”. The shaft pitch diameter is 0.0126” smaller than the receptacle which is significant but may simply be the built in clearance for the male and female. I cannot help but think that they were intended to mate, can anyone confirm?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The AND20002 standard is an obsolete US Air Force/Navy standard that defines a "type XII" engine accessory drive interface. The 16 tooth spline configuration is either type XII-A, XII-D or XII-J. If you read the AND20002 standard carefully you'll note that it includes very specific requirements that your DIN5480 external spline does not fully comply with. The requirements listed in the AND20002 standard were developed to ensure the accessory drive provides a certain level of performance/reliability/service life/etc. So while your DIN5480 16T shaft spline may be a "close-but-slightly-looser-fit" with the 16T internal spline of an AND20002 type XII accessory drive, don't expect it to work as well as the correct shaft spline would.

A good reference for the mating spline connections used in AND type standard aircraft accessory drives is MS3335.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back