Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spline control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don9of11

Computer
Nov 15, 2013
US
When creating a spline and you want the spline to pass through each point exactly do you need to specify the tolerance with each point? The default is 0.0000; Isn't there a means to set this up in the options? I want to make sure my spline passes through each point exactly and I have noticed on closer examination the spline does not pass through each point; I shouldn't have to specify a tolerance with each point. Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
You can not adjust the fit tolerance for different points of the spline. The first and last spline point always passes through the given points. All other points are controlled with the single fit tolerance. I've done such a test. I have set units precision to 0.00000000. I drew 6 randomly distributed points. Through these points I drew a spline. By using "LIST" command I checked the x and y coordinates of the points and compared with the coordinates of spline points. With fit tolerance = 0 the relevant coordinates are matched to 8 decimal places.

You are using the "LIST" command. I was using the spline icon are they not the same?

Are you saying the units precision needs to be higher?

Hi,
Of course, it's the same thing. The icon spline I have only 3 decimal places. "Units precission" may not be higher, I just checked whether the coordinates of the points are identical.

As you say, the first and last spline points always pass through the given points but how do I get the spline to pass through all the given points? In my situation the spline doesn't always pass through the given points in the middle of the first and last. When I view the spline after I am done creating it, it looks like I missed some of the points despite having selected them. How do I for correct this? [ponder]

If you are selecting each point then your spline is actually on each point, and it is a display problem.
Use the command VIEWRES to change the display setting to a higher number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back