Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splines in Solidworks DRAWINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reborn123

Bioengineer
Mar 10, 2011
US
Hi all:

I've got a part I am trying to make an engineering drawing for. The part uses several splines. I did some searching on here and learned how to fully define the spline (so it turns black) in my sketches in the part file. However, when I import a view from the part into a Solidworks Drawing file, the spline loses information (mainly, the points that define it), and so I cannot import my dimensions nor can I recreate them. I've tried numerous things to get the spline to "import" correctly, but to no avail. A coworker told me that ProE does not have this issue. Am I stuck with copy pasting my spline from my sketch into my drawing, and redefining it there?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reborn123,

Are you actually trying to "import" the sketch from a part into a separate drawing file? Why aren't you simply making a drawing of the part and letting its dimensions show on the drawing?

Maybe I am misinterpretting what you wrote. If you can post the files you will likely get better help from us on this forum.

- - -Updraft

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

I created a part file. The main sketch that defines the part contains splines. I was able to fully define the splines in the sketch (within the part file). Now, I want to make a drawing of this part, so I created a new drawing and inserted the appropriate view of my part. It will insert all the dimensions to the drawing, except with the splines, it does the following: it inserts the dimensions to the points of the splines, and that's it. It does not import the handle dimensions, nor the actual points (or handles). So I cannot redimension the splines in the drawing, because the points and handles are missing.

I did some more searching on the solidworks forums and saw a thread that suggested to do the following:

Tools -> Options -> System Options -> Drawings -> Display Sketch Entity Points

I went ahead and checked that box, but the problem persists. Any insights? Also, I am experiencing this problem in both SW 2009 and 2010.

Thanks for your help you guys.

I think my use of the word "import" was a complete misnomer and threw you guys off. Also, I don't think I can post my part because of confidentiality issues, but I can mock up a part with splines if necessary.

A mock-up would be good. A hand sketch showing what you are wanting to see in the drawing would also help.

it inserts the dimensions to the points of the splines, and that's it. It does not import the handle dimensions, nor the actual points (or handles). So I cannot redimension the splines in the drawing, because the points and handles are missing.
If it inserts the dimensions to the points, why do you need to re-dimension it?

I've attached a part file. See how I had to define the handle angle to a reference line, as well as the handle ordinate? Without doing so, the spline would not be fully defined (in the sketch entity). So when you try to create a drawing from this part, the only dimensions that are retained are the dimensions to the spline points.

Are you saying this is adequate for an engineering drawing? (I'm trying to learn and do it correctly).

Much appreciated.

Dimensioning the spline point and/or handles will not be enough information to build anything. Usually with complex surfaces (which is what you get with splines) you will have to show many sections in multiple directions or provide a 3d model for CNC manufacturing.
The best thing to do is to talk to the person/company that will manufacture your part and see what they require from you.
The Spline points and handles are for the designer not the manufacturer.

-Joe
SolidWorks 2009 x64 SP 5.1 on Windows XP x64
8 GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro FX1700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back