split ring simulation - Displacement Increment for contact is too big

Status
Not open for further replies.

yudhichen

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2013
NO
Dear Abaqus user,

i'm doing some simulation on split ring which pushed by plug with pressure 10,000PSI and hit the housing. i've been creating parts, applying the boundary condition, interaction, mesh control that i could think of.

this is the boundary condition that i put on the system:
1. the housing (with groove profile) is pinned
2. the plug only allowed to move in Y direction. this plug shall be give pressure 10ksi from bottom to push the split ring
3. split ring being pinned on 1 cut area and allowed to move in Y direction (since it will be pushed by plug)

i always getting the message "Displacement Increment for contact is too big" during simulation. i'm aware that the split ring might be the problem since on the real situation the split ring can expand in X-Z place, and this simulate on how the split ring being loaded by pressure that coming from the plug.

anybody can give me advice on how do i prevent this message? I'm new in Abaqus and this is my first simulation for 3D as before i only run the simulations at axisymetric. Appreciate any input.

you may find the attached CAE file below

Thank you

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2cf304af-a8e4-49eb-927d-3697ee833f6c&file=latch_ring.cae
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I do not have CAE so I cannot check your model. One thing I used to do when I had a ramping load was to use a boundary condition instead and then measure the reaction force.

It might be possible to create a kinematic coupling on the surface you are applying the pressure. Then displace the master node of the coupling. Measure reaction force. When the reaction force is larger than yourPressure*surfaceArea you can stop displacing the component.

You could also try to do one implicit dynamics step to initiate contacts, then do a general static to apply the full load.

Other things you can do it make contact elements better (more ideal shape) or add some contact damping (make sure you check energies, I try to avoid this).

Have a nice weekend!

Make the model half symmetric, so you save analysis time and you can easier see what's going on.
Check that all parts have no rigid modes.

If it is still not working, attach the new .cae file and .inp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back