Splitting a cable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

T83

Electrical
Nov 12, 2008
MU
Hello,

I know this might sound silly to the majority,but let's say there is a buried underground cable of 2x10mm2,ok,now I want to split the cable into 2x2.5mm2 & let's say 2x4mm2,ok what is supposed to be available to split the cable,I often see the manhole then the cable goes in a T shape on a drawing,but what is the way of splitting the cable & what should be provided to split it,basically what is in the manhole to permit this T shape split,a T joint,can you guide me to some pics ?

Thx!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first question is; "What is the protection ahead of the cable?"
Minimum cable size depends on adequate protection of the cable with the lowest ampacity.
If you were to supply voltage and cable configuration, this may also help you get a reasonable answer.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

In order to split the cable one needs a cable joint - a plastic box- including sealing material to avoid moisture penetration- see [Multi-purpose Joints] for instance:
Then, one needs one T connector for each main conductor [phase and neutral].
If the T connector does not permit conductor cross section reduction, one needs also a [straight] reducer.
All these, well insulated, may be directly buried in the ground or it may be introduced in a handhole [a kind of buried box provided with a strong cover-as for lighting poles, for instance].
But, as well explained by waross, it is not indicate to reduce the T branch conductor. For a very short distance, as from handhole to lighting pole fuse, if the fuse does not permit main conductor size connection, you may use this keeping in mind that for this short portion of cable no protection is provided.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the replies I understand what both of you are trying to say regarding the protection of the cable,but what is confusing me is the following;let's say the underground cable 2x10mm2 reaches a point where there is one load to the right and many loads to the left,according to your replies splitting the cable to a lower cross section will cause it to be improperly protected,so should I split it then to two cables of the same size (2x10mm2)?because I don't want the cable to do the same distance twice or what do you recommend ?

I attached a sketch of the scenario in case needed.

You may use a T connector cutting the main cable, but you can use a ferrule inserting the conductors-main and branch- from the open side and to crimp all together.
See -for example:
b6vf3m.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back