Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spray ball coveraget test

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiotecninox

Chemical
Mar 30, 2009
IT
Dear all,
one of our customer insists to have a spray ball coverage test during FAT of 90 seconds. We demonstrated them that in 180 second we can clean the vessels perfectly, but we have some problems with 90 seconds.
Are ther in literature or something else some recomendations about the duration of the test during FAT?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Golden rule is the customer has gold so they mak the rules. Ask for the basis of their requirements i.e. are they trying to determine direct coverage as distinct to indirect or splash coverage of the spray ball, or are they trying to validate the minimum cleaning time. There may be numerous reasons for their requirements. The cleaning regime may remain at 180 seconds, however the minimum cleaning time and other cleaning parameters must be validated and tested.
What is the CIP solution, is it recirculated or an expensive medium? This may also be the driver to reduce cleaning time.
To return to your question, there is no literature in relation to time or other recomendations around FAT that I am aware of. The FAT should be based on performance and agreed design parameters, generally set down in contract or specifications.

Mark Hutton

I agree with Mark's comments. The time period seems to be a bit ridiculous, if it is demanded only during FAT and not a contractual agreement. You may cover the tank in less time if you provide more flowrate. Take the average rates recommended in ASME BPE 2007 and see what results you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back