Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

spreadsheet for cam/roller Hertzian contact stress with double curvatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred67

Student
May 11, 2023
IT
hello, I am trying to write an excel spreadsheet for calculation of Hertzian max contact stress btw cam (body#1) and roller (body#2).The cam has a flat lobe (no transversal curvature)but the roller has a "crown" defined by a radius of curvature.The input data are cam geometry defined by the raius of curvature and loads (both expressed by angular value with resolution = 1 deg). Then I have applied the formulas to calculate the semi-minor & semi-major axis of contact and ultimately the max Hertzian contact pressure which is the final goal and the entire focus. The result I am getting doesn't look promising (values smell much too low) so there is likely to be some error but I was not able to find it. One possible reason could be the definition of radius of curvatures but I think they are all positive (+) since they are all positioned within the direction of their respective bodies. The coefficients μ(θ)and ν(θ)
are obtained by extrapolation of exponential model and should be OK.
So here the spreadsheet and I would appreciate everyone comments. thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e9b405f6-65c9-4354-a2cb-6db594098c97&file=Hertz_contact_stress_bodies_w_2_curvatures_TEST.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back