Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprial torsion spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturock

Aerospace
May 19, 2008
US
Hi,
Attached is a spiral torsion spring I need to paramerterize in Catia v5 rel 19 P2. The parameraterization needs to have the tail hooked ends to update with the internal diameter change. Has anyone attempted or had any success trying to do this type of spring?
Thanks for any help given.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

here's how I do it:

1. start in the center, and define the centerline of the spring
2. make the straight section first, defining the beginning of the spiral
3. make the spiral from the end of the line, defining the end of the spiral
4. make a sketch of the hook, based on the endpoint of the spiral.
5. Join the line, spiral and hook into a single curve.
6. make a pad with the THICK option, based on the Join.
7. add the edge fillets

There's probably other ways to do it.

Yes this is how you create it. I wasn't clear, I need it parameraterized or created it in such a way that it will be shown in installed and free state positions. This is difficult because the end hooks create errors when the angle for position changes. The outer ankor is stantionary and the inner ankor rotates. By this rotation you see that the spring compresses to one side, the inner ankor side. I would like would like to paramertize this spring to show this type of change when adjusting the angle.

Sturock,

The instructions above would be for the free state position of the spring, when no loads/torque are applied and the spring is in a true "spriral" shape.

But when the one end is rotated, putting the spring under load, the shape is no longer a true spiral. Even if the solid was parameterized, it wouldn't be the true shape. I belief you could get this deformed shape with FEA software, but I'm not sure if CATIA GPS or ELFINI will do this.

That's correct it shown in free state and I need to have it shown in under load condition, I thought maybe Catia could show it under load condition. I'm having the spring currently modeled in Solidworks, Solidworks has the capability to show it under load conditions by massaging the parameters. I have to ask them to send it to me as a dumb solid when they are done. My customer would like a true parameterized model and not as a dumb solid. If we have to buy anther FEA package of Catia to accomplish this, how does a $5000 package of solidwork accomplish this and we have to buy a close to $20000 package of Catia to accomplish the same thing. If what I've been told is true that Catia V5 was based of the Solidworks platform when it was created, I would of thought it would be able to do this. If anyone could look it to this a bit further I would greatly appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back