Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spring Natural Frequencies/ Surge Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jieve

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2011
US
We have an application on a test rig where we are applying a load to rotating shaft through a bearing via a linear actuator. The load is applied through a spring setup, similar to a hanging vibration isolator. The max load capability needs to be around 2000lbf, with a total spring constant around 750lbf/in.
My understanding is that I should be concerned with both the natural frequencies of the load subsystem, (which as I see it, in its simplest form boils mostly down to a 1 DOF mass/spring system), and the natural frequencies of the springs themselves.

The rotating shaft has variable speed 0-60Hz and mostly negligible vibration; but my concern (and I’m not sure how valid this is), is that most springs I’ve found both individual and when using multiple springs in parallel to reach the max load with a smaller spring, all typically have critical frequencies in the range of 50-100Hz (k/m doesn’t deviate all that much when using smaller springs to reach the same load capacity and spring constant).

To mitigate any potential issue, I’m trying to think of simple ways to dampen the system and prevent any spring surge that may occur. But I’m not even entirely sure that this is a concern.

So not sure if that is sufficient information, but my questions (maybe very basic):
1)If the excitation source is mainly through shaft vibration mounted in spherical roller bearings with minimal imbalance, is spring surge in this application something that I really need to worry about?
2)Say I use 4 or 8 springs in parallel instead of a single larger spring (assume compression springs between two parallel plates). Each spring still has its individual natural frequency, am I correct that there is nothing different about this system that makes the concern about surge any less concerning (assuming all other factors being equal)?
3)The design I’m thinking about is a spring (or multiple) in a cylindrical housing; imagine a piston being pulled down to compress the spring(s). Is there a simple way to dampen potential vibrations? I’ve thought through using friction material in contact with the springs to automotive shock absorber type dashpots, to submerging the spring in oil… just wondering if anyone has any different ideas I haven’t thought of that might be simpler. And am I correct that adding this damping between the plates would eliminate the surge concerns? Or would I still really need to find another way around operation so close to the spring’s natural frequency?
4)Finally on a related note, Shigley describes the equation for the fundamental critical frequency for springs between 2 plates as f = 0.5 sqrt(k/m), where m is the mass of the active coils of the spring. However, the general equation for system natural frequencies is f = 1/2pi sqrt(k/m). I noticed the Roymech site has a better derivation than Shigley, but just wondering why that pi factor drops out in the spring case (I haven’t worked through the derivation). But I’ve seen elsewhere on the web where this is discussed as being a typo in the Shigley case, (but Mark’s and Roymech have this too) so figured I’d ask.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding your question 4.[ ] I have just done a RAG (=RoughAsGuts) derivation for the axial natural frequency of a linear spring fully axially restrained at each end.[ ] I get
[ ][ ][ ]Sqrt(8k/M) radians/sec
where k is the (uniformly distributed) end-to-end stiffness of the spring, and M is the (uniformly distributed) total mass of the spring.
This is "not inconsistent" with the formula you attribute to Shigley provided his is in cycles/sec.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thinking about those solutions, not sure what that would look like to "jam some foam inside", but to the second suggestion, rather than an interference fit between two springs, what about using two concentric springs with significantly different natural frequencies, not tight fit, but fixing the spring ends so they can't surge without pulling the plates with them? My thought is, if one spring starts to surge, the other will resist motion and act to dampen it.

Another thought was to slightly interference fit a single spring in a cylinder, and maybe lubricate the sides. The spring could still compress but you'd have some element of frictional damping under resonance conditions.

@Denial: Regarding the calculation, I'd assume that end conditions affect natural frequency. When they say the fundamental frequency of 0.5*sqrt(k/m) Hz is derived from a spring between two parallel plates, they don't mention if the ends are fully restrained or not. Although not sure if this makes a difference for the calculation. From your derivation I get 0.45 sqrt(k/m) Hz, wonder if the difference has to do with the assumptions about mass distribution?

Cut a finger of foam of approximately the same dimensions as the internal space in the spring. Jam it in the hole. Commonly used in consumer devices for damping opening doors and so on.

No any linear estimate will assume the ends are always in contact, otherwise you get an amplitude dependent frequency, plus harmonics.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Jieve.[ ] For my RAG calculation I simply took the spring's total mass, lumped a quarter of it at the left hand end and forgot about it.[ ] Ditto the right hand end.[ ] The remaining M/2 was lumped in the middle.[ ] The now-massless spring was represented by two springs of half the overall length and (therefore) each had twice the end-to end stiffness.
This results in a simple SDOF model with a simple mass of M/2 supported in effect by a single spring of stiffness 4*k.[ ] Hence the "sqrt(8)" factor.

Definitely quick and dirty (=QAD), but I would be very surprised if its result is wrong by more than 20%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back