Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Spring rate - tire load

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCarson85

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2017
IE
Hi all, stuck on a problem here if anyone knows about this stuff..

I have a simple coil suspension and damper linked to a wheel. I have found a formula for the load carrying capacity of the tire that includes the displacement. When sizing the spring, do I simply subtract the tire displacement from the needed needed spring displacement? How does one take into account the tires ability to absorb a load when sizing the coiled spring?

I understand this can be a very broad topic for specific answers, I'm looking for more of a ball park idea at the moment to get my values. Neglecting camber and turning if needed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For what purpose are you "sizing" the spring? What do you mean by the "needed" spring displacement ... "needed" for what purpose?

For some purposes, you can ignore what the tire does. For other purposes, you can't. If for some reason the behaviour of the tire is extremely critical, you had better foresee and examine the consequences of the user using the wrong tire pressure, or substituting a different tire from the one you are assuming.

Example: For purposes of establishing the proper spring rates to use in my roadracing motorcycle, I ignore the deflection of the tire and so does everyone else at my level and anywhere close to it. I don't ignore the possibility of overloading and overheating the tire due to wrong suspension behaviour caused by incorrectly chosen spring rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back