Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocksolid2

Industrial
Oct 23, 2002
GB
Hi All

Probably a simple question but I just can't find the answer. I'm trying to create a suspension arrangement using a spring that has been concentrically mated to the surface of the shaft that it surrounds. The main shaft is pierced at the top end by another shaft that is in a fixed position, so it looks like a 'T' assembly. When the shaft that makes the top of the 'T' is pushed down I want the spring to compress. How do I achieve this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rock,

you are not going to achieve this with solidworks if it is the animation you are looking for... if you are interested in seeing how the forces edforme the spring then you need to be looking at an fea solution for that scenario.... SWX2003 has something called CosmosXpress that will handle simple things like this, BUT it does not do assemblies if you want to do assemblies you need to buy the add-in CosmosWorks or another FEA solution to help you with this.

if you could care less about the numbers (stress/strain,etc) and you want to simulate the motion of the spring then you could do it with multiple configurations and switch through them "frame by frame" so to speak... in other words you could take a screen shot of it in each configuration and save it to either an animated gif file, or perhaps use something to create an avi feame by feame.... very time consuming though because you need to make MANY frames to make it look good...

I suppose that you could define the spring using an incontext relationship but I am not sure what type of spring you have their... lets say we have a coil spring which is basically a sweep around a helical curve.

I would draw a construction line "in context" with the assembly to show the total spring height between the other components. Then you can put a reference dimension on it.

Create your helix using "height" and number of turns. give it a height and the number of turns and complete the helix.

Create an equation that drives the height dimension in the helix definition and make it equal to the ref dimension

create your sweep profile on a plane normal to the curve(helix) then sweep away

if you move the assembly and you have sonctrained the construction line correctly the model should update and show the spring in different heights AFTER you rebuild the assembly... its still not going to be "video quality" though

hope that helps a little

Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back