sprinkler head question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdafd

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 18, 2005
US
I know it is not a good idea to mix types of heads in one room

If I have a room, off a corridor, with a lintel of at least 8 inches, can I put standard heads in the corridor and extended in the room??

I believe the answer is yes, just want to make sure

If no, nfpa 13 section?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes.

You can mix heads in a room, as long as both are either quick response or standard as the case may be, but you can not mix heads with different k-factors for the purpose of hydraulically balancing the system.

Using k-factors to "balance" is the same as using an orifice plate.

OK the question got changed/clairified

addtion to an existing school, possibly old additon they are tieing on to has standard heads in the corridor, and they are planning on putting quick response in the new corridor, that is connected to the old corridor

If no lintels then all heads in the corridor need to be changed to quick response.

From 2002

8.3.3.2 Where quick-response sprinklers are installed, all sprinklers within a compartment shall be of the quick-response type.
8.3.3.3 Where circumstances require the use of other than ordinary temperature–rated sprinklers, standard response sprinklers shall be permitted to be used.

found that finaly, but would you call the corridor a compartment??

I also saw A.8.3.3.1 which seems to say on an existing system you do not have to go back and change out the existing heads

The way I always took it a corridor was a compartment until you hit lintels or doors.

A.8.3.3.1 When renovations occur in an existing building and no changes are made in the existing sprinkler system, this section is not intended to require the replacement of existing standard sprinklers with quick-response sprinklers.

By adding on I would say changes are being made to the existing system.

I thought from the title of your post 'sprinkler head question', you were going to ask why you keep calling 'sprinklers', 'sprinkler heads'!

NFPA 13 never once refers to a sprinkler as a sprinkler head. Sprinkler heads are for watering your golf course.

Just a peeve of mine. Bugs me almost as much as people calling 'concrete', 'cement'.

Don't take it too personally! Correct terminology makes one sound a lot more professional and credible.

All in good fun!

R M Arsenault Engineering Inc.

rmae

that is what I am asking about, which sprinkler head is correct for a corridor section on my new golf course addition!!

Am I on the wrong forum??

oh contraire

21.7 Nitrate Film.

is protected per sprinkler head shall not exceed 64 ft2 (6 m2) with sprinklers and branch lines not being more than 8 ft (2.4 m) apart. [40

21.22 Standard for the Construction and Fire Protection of Marine Terminals, Piers, and Wharves.

; The following design and installation guides shall apply where pendent sprinklers in the upright position or old-style sprinklers are to be utilized: (1)The maximum coverage per sprinkler head shall be

21.36 Coal Mines.

of supplying a constant flow of water with all heads functioning for a period of 10 minutes.(3)The sprinkler head activation temperature shall not be less than 65.6°C (150°F) or greater

tardy to the party here, but I don't think anyone gave you a solid code reference confirming your original post cdafd:

NFPA 13-2010 22.4.4.8.4 Extended coverage and residential sprinklers with a different orifice size shall be acceptable for part of the protection area where installed in accordance with their listing.

regarding the new question:

NFPA 13-2010 8.3.3.4 When existing light hazard systems are converted to use quick response or residential sprinklers, all sprinklers in a compartmented space shall be changed.

Looks like it would have to qualify as a separate compartment or else you'll be swapping out all the old standard responses. Note that 8.3.3.1 (3) would allow the use of standard response in the new corridor in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back