Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprinkler piping marking requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastcc

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2003
US
Where can I find the requirements for marking fire protection piping within various occupancies? I have areas that are covered by all occupancy types, except for "high hazard".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

are you wanting to mark individual zones? if not, why would you need to mark the piping based on occupancy?

I don't need to mark the pipes based on occupancy or by zone. The people in the safety department tell me I need to paint all of my sprinkler pipe red, whether it is in a warehouse or a residential building. The Safety people could not provide a reference for this. What is required to be marked? If using pipe labels, what is the frequency of marking? Please provide a reference.

I did a quick computer search of the NFPA standards/codes. Using the search terms "marking of pipe" or "pipe marking", I did not find anything that mentions a requirement to mark piping. This may be a specific requirement to the local building code, or a requirement of the insurance carrier.

It is not a requirement of any local code or insurance. Thanks for checking, I'll repost this on the OSHA forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back