Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sprinkler protection under open stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagge

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2008
DK
Hi,
I have a question which is a little hard for me to figure out. I've attached a sketch showing the case. I have a parking garage which is fully sprinkled. This parking garage is not ended with a normal wall, but with some open stairs, which is 30% open (see the sketch). Above the staircase is open sky. There will be cars parked under the stairs, so there is a risk of fire. I am unsure whether sprinklers will activate, or the heat will just penetrate past the sprinkler through the stairs to the sky because of the 30% opening? Maybe it's better to mount smoke detectors under the stairs and sprinklers inside the parking garage? But the problem is that the garage is under a demand that says it should be fully sprinkled. The location is by the way in Denmark, if someone should wonder :)

Hope somebody can please help me with an advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bagge, it seems to me, without benifit of a plan view that you have the sloped area covered, wouldnot a water curtain at the end of the completly covered area before the stair effectively seperate these? and do away with the spkrs under the stair calling it "exterior adjacent stair", besides depending on the dimentions one might be needed, would like to see a floor opening / plan view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back