Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SPT blow counts in a deep stratum

Knowledge24

Civil/Environmental
Sep 29, 2024
CA
Hi
When SPT is carried out in deep boreholes, say 60m, it would include 40 rods each assumed 1.5m. The hammer strikes tend to buckle the 60m rod length and therefore some of the energy will be lost although the rod length rebounds as an elastic material (and the confinement in the borehole does not allow to have a buckle failure anyway). Therefore if the reading is for example 45 blows, it could have been less if some of the energy had not been lost in the rod assembly. Is there any correction for it. I am aware of correction for overburden but this aspect is more related to energy loss. Although we do a correction on rod length for N60, but the correction factor is 1 for longer rod lengths - almost on the contrary to the above phenomenon. I wonder if someone gives me a clue to understand if I am missing an item.Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know what you're saying, although supposedly beyond ~15m it makes no difference (they are 'short rod' corrections after all). In typical geotechnical fashion, there is also a school of thought that rod corrections are overblown / nonsense (refer section 5.5 of the Overburden Stress Normalization and Rod Length Corrections for the Standard Penetration Test) (SPT).

Personally I think SPTs are useless for liquefaction evaluation due to test in-frequency and for other applications you should be so conservative in selection of design profiles and derivation of parameters if you're relying on SPTs that the correction factors are just some handwavy number fudging.

Refer here:

and here:

Back