Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spur gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidworkswell

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2005
US
I am posed with a problem which i have no clue about. I am testing a gear transfer.

The gears are all Spur at pressure angle of 20°. The gear oscilates back and forth in its axial direction, now if it was radial, that would have made sense to me. The gear is enclosed in a housing. It is supported by a needle roller bearing and a ball bearing on both sides. It is
lubricated. The gear also has washers on either side between the bearing and gear.

Can someone tell me what would cause it do act in that manner.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

solidworkswell,

two things to check on your gears:
1. axial tooth runout
2. runout between mounting axis and pitch diameter

regards,
Terry

Hi,
I think that you check out your runout and also the backlash between the two gears.

I preseume this might be the problem.

Since the gear is oscillating, I assume it is different from wobbling and I would question the mounting of the gear.

Is the gear mounted on shaft or is integral with the shaft?

If it is not integral then how is the gear mounted on the shaft? Is it keyed or splined oR else? Is the gear supposed to float or is supposed to be fixed in axial, direction?
Is the alignment of the gears proper? This will be decided by the Helix slope error of the meshing gears and also the alignment of the gerboz housing bores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back