Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Square D Ammeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanfi

Electrical
Oct 11, 2004
US
I came across a Squared D Ammeter. It is about 30 years old. It is a Square D, part number 63090 214 07 001. I am having trouble finding out anything about the device, since it is so old. Anyone familar with one? I am wanting to know what the input signal is? I am guess 0-5A.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask Square-D? There are still some old-timers around that may have an old catalog or two. Other than that, it's not something that anyone else would worry about.

Generally ammeters always use 5A input unless they are under 10A. The scale is based upon what you will read from the CT ratio feeding it. The rule of thumb on CT ratios is to have the ratio match the top end of the ammeter scale range, but make the range twice what you expect to read so that the needle is near the center when displaying normal conditions. For insance, if it is a 100A meter scale, it would have used 100:5 ratio CTs, but would have been used for a system consuming between 40 and 60A normally. If you were going to consume 80A normally, you would use a 150:5 CT and a 150A scale plate on the meter. Not much has changed about that in the 30 years I have been messing with this stuff.

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
Nikola Tesla

Test it with a known current lower than 5 amperes, which will identify the scale on display. You do not want to damage it by applying tests with higher currents until you know its range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back