Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Square tower supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvelez01

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to design the fastening mechanisms for a 30 ft tower. The square tower is to be welded to an L channel or bracket which will be bolted then to a concrete base. I am wondering if modeling this "bracket" as a beam is unjustified due to the fact that it is very short and has bolts drilled through it. The L bracket is a 6 ft long by 1/4 in thick with 3 in "legs" at a 90 degree angle. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Peter ME

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep...it's a beam. Loaded at the square tower legs, restrained at the bolts....have at it.

You could also consider it to be a base frame (like a base plate with no middle), and consider the worst case overturning condition.

Thanks Ron.

I appreciate the input. Im assuming that the loss of material in the beam is disregarded due to the bolt material itself adding to the overall rigidity. Does this seem appropriate?

Pete

You'll have to check the stresses to see if the bolt hole is significant. A 30-ft tower can pick up substantial wind loading, so make sure you check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back