Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SR Valve Diffusor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxp

Nuclear
Apr 4, 2005
SI
I have a question related to SR valve. My company purchased an ASME class 3 SR valve. Diffusor is a part of valve and on a drawing it is marked as Non Pressure boundary SR part. This part was manufactured in a shop which has a quality system only in accordance with ISO 9001. On this part reparature welding was performed. Valve supplier/manufacturer didn't provide us with documentation from which would indicate that this part is in accordance with 10CFR50 App. B. Valve is designed and manufactured in accordance with ASME section III, ND section and has N stamp. My question is, can valve manufacturer install non pressure boundary SR part which was not manufactured in accordance with 10CFR50 App. B. Should manufacturer perform dedication process?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think the utility would have a list of who is approved to provide SR parts IAW 10CFR50 App. B vs everyone else. If the company selling you the part is not on the SR approved list I would think you would need to do a commercial grade dedication if the part performs a SR function.

As far as whether the manufacturer performing the dedication process, I am not a dedication expert, but if they don't have an App. B program, could you even except a dedication from them as valid? They have no Part 21 either I assume.

Yes, the valve manufacturer will have an Appendix B QA program that will allow them to dedicate sub-supplier parts as safety related, even if the sub-supplier does not have an Appendix B program. This is fairly common. Obviously your utility has audited the valve manufacturer QA program and accepted it (otherwise you wouldn't be able to buy the valve from them to begin with). This would be the responsibility of the valve supplier, and when they provide the Certificate of Compliance that certifies that the valve is safety related and meets all applicable requirements.

You can confirm this with the valve manufacturer.

I would like to say that diffusors is swril diffusers DVR,Round ceiling diffusers DS,Square ceiling HB40,Slot diffusers SDML, having the safety the rules of the value of diffusors,and the process of manufacturing of it. Diffusor is a piece of valve and on a drawing it is stamped as Non Pressure limit SR part.On this part reparature welding was performed.Valve is planned and fabricated as per Safety rules.And it is performed well..But i need information more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back