Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SS-Micro-structure Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rifa92

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2020
PK
Hi,

Hope you guys are doing well. I have occurred a microstructure (pic attached) which appears to be resembling that of martensitic stainless steel, however, the composition of the material is telling a different story. I used OES for chemical analysis, the sample consists of C (0.129 wt%), Si (0.108wt%), Mn (0.702wt%), Cr(17.341wt%),Mo(0.992wt%),Ni(4.41wt%), Nb(0.1wt%) and Fe (balance).
1.100x_asqgfz.jpg

1.200x_e9asxc.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like a modified 441 to me.
More Ni for use in thicker sections perhaps?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

WHAT SStl alloy/temper and specification is it supposed to be????

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

With that chemistry, why do you think it would not have a martensitic microstructure? And why would you not consider it a martensitic stainless steel?

/

Did you bother with calculating a FN for the alloy? This is martensitic.
I am sure that with the Ni and C you have it is possible to quench and get a lot of retained austenite.
While this might be helpful in hot working or welding it will require some attention.
If you single temper you will likely end up with a bunch of un-tempered martensite (because it converted later).
I didn't try to calculate a Mf temp, but my gut feel is that it would colder than room temp.
My thought is quench, temper, chill, re-temper.
What HT was used on this sample?

The Ni content around 4% will not make the steel austenitic. It will only aid a little bit to increase the austenitic area. Had there been no Ni, you would have got almost a 100% martensitic structure. But this Ni could lead to some retained austenite as Ed has said or it could be ferrite. Rest are all martensite, typical needle like structure, quite coarse though, not the fine type.

DHURJATI SEN

How thick is this section? What was the austenitizing temp? Quench media?
Give us some info here.

The composition is consistent with martensitic SS.
Hard-core SS if you get my meaning.

p.s., nobody should be reporting major alloy analyses to three decimal places.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back