Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

sSlab on grade to top of wall connection/non restrained

Status
Not open for further replies.

shacked

Structural
Aug 6, 2007
US
I am designing a cantilevered retaining wall, 8" poured in place concrete, 6ft retaining for residential. There is a slab on grade behind the wall that I would like to make a positive connection with to the back of the wall at the top.
I would like to limit the potential separation of the slab to wall by using #3 rebar dowels spaced at 24" o.c. with a standard 90degrgee hook into the center of the wall. The slab will obviously be poured after the backfill is compacted but I am concerned about induced stress at the front face of the wall over time. Any thoughts about this detail?

The concrete slab spans 10ft behind the wall and is continuous. There isn't enough sliding resistance btw'n the slab and grade in order to fully resist the top of wall restraint force....Am I asking for trouble with this detail? Should I go ahead and add vertical rebar in the front of the wall to account for this?

Thoughts, suggestions welcomed.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c7378d2b-afcd-4c0c-b8cf-d0be574403c4&file=SLAB_TO_WALL.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO your approach is reasonable.
My points ,
- Provide 50 mm key at the RW so SOG should be supported by RW at one side,
- The SOG restrains the RW at the top . Provide reinf at FF of the RW .

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

This is doable, but once you connect the top slab it is no longer a cantilevered retaining wall.

The dowels at the top restrain the wall, so the setup becomes fixed at the bottom and pinned at the top. The wall face nearest the retained earth goes from being in tension (cantilevered behavior) to being in compression.

I realize the mechanics, I guess what I am wondering:
If the backfill is compacted prior to pouring the slab, wouldn't the majority of the cantilever action & tension in the rear reinforcement already be developed?
Then probably a week or so after this the slab would be poured and tied into the top of wall.

I did run a calc for this wall assuming it was pinned at the top, and #4 vertical rebar spaced @ 24" o.c. at the front face is more than able to resist the tension, although it is below t&s reinf area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back