Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ST vs RST

Status
Not open for further replies.

mTreadwell

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2008
US
Can anyone tell me the difference between ST and RST designations from DIN 17100? We're supplying replacement parts based on an old drawing from a European manufacturer and this is a new one for me. I'm specifically interested in RST 52-3; I have a crossover chart that shows some RSTs as similar but higher grade than their ST equivalent, but this one isn't listed. Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The meaning of 'R' was: Rimmed Steel (= steel containing iron oxide to give a continuous evolution of carbon monoxide while the ingot is solidifying) is NOT permitted.

Sorry Shmulik, but I think it was just the opposite or I misundertand the meaning of rimmed. R meant killed. S 355 JR2 should now be the equivalent to RSt 52-3.

It sounds like you two are saying the same thing (that is, micalbrch misunderstands rimmed as he suggested - or missed the "NOT permitted" at the end of Shmulik's post). Rimmed = CO bubbles allowed to form during cooling. Killed = aluminum or silicon added to capture the oxygen coming out of solution. So despite the non-matching initial, R=killed/not rimmed.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back