Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ST3 vs ST4 or ST5 Indented BOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbmech

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2005
US
I'm REALLY needing to be able to use the "Exploded List (all parts and subassemblies)" to put indented BOMs on my drawings, but I need it to be selective. Currently I'm using ST3 and I have many subassemblies on my top level, but only want to Indent select ones.

Does anyone know how I have make my Top Level drawing BOM indent only selected subassemblies?

If it is not possible within ST3 to do this, is it possible within ST4 or ST5.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We made non-graphic parts to represent the assembly and then used occurrence properties to not show some components in BOM view. It was a real PITA and nearly doubled our file management.

I'd really rethink your requirement to only expand/indent selective assemblies. There may be a better Configuration Management along with modeling practice you can do to achieve the same result.

When you upgrade to ST5 or ST6, you can start using multi-part parts. This will allow you to build an "assembly" within a single part file and therefore it will NOT be exploded in a BOM.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

"I'd really rethink your requirement to only expand/indent selective assemblies"

We have subassemblies for our valves for example so we can show them in a closed or open status. These kind of things are what I can't have "Indent". Is no one else having this issue?

SE ST3 Windows 7

For those situations, I would not create a subassembly for that, I would create an Alternate Position Assembly. That eliminates a subassembly and you have nothing to indent (or hide from indenting).

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

"I would create an Alternate Position Assembly" implies it is an Assembly, therefore it will indent on my BOM. If there is away of doing "I would create an Alternate Position Assembly" this within a Part file please educate me.

SE ST3 Windows 7

I made the assumption that you are placing a subassembly within an assembly.
You are exploding the top level assembly, which will list the subassembly.
You do not want the subassembly exploded.

If your top level assembly uses Alternate Positions - one for open and one for closed positions, then you don't create the subassembly. No subassembly, no worries about it being exploded in the BOM. I may be misinterpreting your hierarchy.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

Swertel, I think I understand the confusion now. We have many different subassemblies that we use on our drawings ranging from standard valves to mounting subassemblies. They are no put together in the over assembly. So when I ask it to indent the BOM I get the parts of those subassemblies, which I don't want. There however non-standard things used on jobs that I do want to indent.

SE ST3 Windows 7

The easiest work around I can envision based on your description is to mark the assemblies you don't want expanded as WELDMENTS, even if they are not. By default, weldments are not exploded to their component levels in higher level assemblies.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you will have to do it manually.
a) In the occurrence properties within the assembly, you can select whether or not to include the component in Assembly Reports (including parts lists).
b) At the drawing level, within the parts list dialog box, you manually chose which components to include. Start with a full exploded BOM (all parts), then hide/remove the ones you don't want to show.

--Scott
www.wertel.pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back