Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stability of landfill slope 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noker

Civil/Environmental
Sep 26, 2003
HK
Can anyone provide some information/websites about stability of landfill slope?
stability criteria, mode or mechanism of failure, enviromental impact of landfill...

Thank you ^^

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out two papers in ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Environmental Engineering, May 2000, Vol 125, No. 5. Papers by Eid, Stark, Evans and Sherry. Also, there was a preliminary draft of a paper I saw for one of the Canadian Geotechnical Conferences (this year, likely) by Fabius and Matich. I can try finding out the paper in a couple of weeks when I return from vacation - it is a very interesting paper on the subject. You could also try to call M. Fabius in Thunder Bay, Onario. (Mike - hope you don't mind!)

I highly recommend you contact Robert Koerner at the Geosynthetic Institute:

Dr. Koerner published a short article in my magazine earlier this year about peak vs. residual strength calculations for landfill slope determination. The article produced a considerable amount of response and subsequent discussion.

As he operates an independent institute, he can offer an unbiased view of design and material selection. If you'd like some private company links, though, I can provide you with a few solid connections.

All best,
Chris

Christopher Kelsey, editor
GFR magazine
gfr@ifai.com

cskelsey, I read that paper and remember some sort of disagreement over whether you should use peak or residual strengths. I don't remember too much in the way of general design but maybe I missed something? I should actually read that again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back