Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stabilizing dirt roads with Enzymes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oson

Structural
Dec 7, 2004
HN
Dirt roads are a common thing in developing countries. Hardening dirt road surface and stopping dust, is a very atractive offer, from companies that sell Enzymes at a very expensive price.
Can anyone here please enlighten me as if all those promises are true?. Any advice based on past experiences?. I will be gratefull for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't waste your time or money. Better stabilization can be obtained with a little cement, a little clay, or asphalt emulsion.

My first reaction is like Ron's, Don't waste your time. But there may be something improved . Or maybe not. My own experience is from about 1969, in Colorado Springs. I have no idea what has happened since then.

In our field and lab experiment, The actual strength/stability improvement was fairly impressive, while the soils were slightly moist or drier.
The vast majority of strength/stability was lost when the soils became very moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back