Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stack mass flow measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

doad1

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2009
DE
Hello,
I would like to get recommendation for manufacturers and producers of :
1/ Stack massflow measurements
2/ CEMS Stack monitoring
3/ O2 content sensors&analysers
I need the measurements equipment with high accuracy and reliability.
Could you advise me the best available on the market?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you what to monitor?
MARPOL Annex VI looked at exhaust gas measurements for COX, NOX and SOX and wanted some form of CEMS, a common feature of most recent MEAs (Multilateral Environmental Agreements) but for various reasons stepped back.

As I understand they also looked at satellite plume analysis.

Finally they decided on indirect measurement which meant, for ship's engines, characterising and certifying the enines so they could compute COX and NOX based on fuel used and engine certification and SOX based on fuel used and %mass sulphur in the fuel.

Fair enough but good and suitable inline fuel sulphur measurement was also out. So they rely on lab analysis for the fuel sulphur content (and density because the fuel used is measured by volume and they need mass).

I suspect it won't be long before they impose the inline sulphur and density measurement solution because they now have or almost have suitable instruments and the method adopted isn't too clever.

CEMS is necessary not just for observational monitoring (collecting data on emissions so as to know where you start from and how it changes over time and how effective legislation is) but also as part of delivering on the other key treaty success factors, implementation, verification and enforcement.

But, I'll be watching here to see if anyone comes up with suitable instruments for direct measurement because if they do then that might be how the IMO reacts on MARPOL.

By the way, Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems instruments should be accurate and tamper proof.... not always easy..... but verification is one of those key factors in successful treaties and if you can't guarantee the instruments you don't have verification.

JMW

I built the electronics for a couple of totalizing massflow measurement units used in Moss Landing Power Plant.

x18nz8ogeg.jpg

It was multiple massflow sensors chained together across the base of the stacks which profiled the entire stack flow. Then a sample port was also massflow'd which went to a particulate filter. Every so often the particulate filter was pulled and weighed. That was then compared to the actual stack flow. This then equated to the particulate load leaving the stack.

I did it for Kurz Instruments. (Carmel, CA)
See what they have.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Can you be more specific in reference to what you are monitoring and if there are any specific standards involved?If you are looking at a full blown CEMS for stack monitoring, then I would look for a company that could offer a complete turnkey solution rather than trying to piecemeal individual components. Many flow measurement companies have pulled out of the CEMS business due to the complexity and specs involved (it was worth their while to manufacture/inventory the entire system when the market was hot). Assuming you actually need a full-blown CEMS stack package (Not enough info to go on), maybe this link would be helpful (I have no experience with this company, but they've been around a long time):

Another company I have not dealt with, but may have some useful info:
The companies above use different flow measurement technologies, but they both appear to offer a complete CEMS package.

In line with what JMW posted, the EPA (CFR40 75) allows gas and oil fired units at utilites to estimate emmissions by developing a correlation between unit load and emmissions rate using a combination of fuel sampling analysis and fuel usage data. Then you would be looking at a 3" or 4" fuel gas meter (several options) and sampler/analyzer rather than a large diameter stack probe and accompanying equipment. Most standards would require an annual calibration for the fuel gas meter. Of course, this only applies to gas or oil fired units.

Good Luck!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back