Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stacked dual dimensioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad1

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2005
I am trying to reset my dimensioning to look as follows --

[635.025]
[634.975]

The standard is --

25.001-24.999
[635.025-634.975]

Please help

John K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used a similar technique to this one for showing limits as

Lower-Upper instead of
upper
lower

As in R .03-.09 cause that's what was asked for.

I've used "/*" below so you can paste the relations along with instructions into the relation window for dimensions that you want to have toleranced as you asked. Of course you only have to set the conversion parameter once.

/* Since Pro e wont show a Value from a note with dual /*dimensioning
/*you can wright a relation to set value for parameters with values for upper and lower limit
/*which I name d#p and d#m for plus minus respectively.
/* Since these values are not converted and proe does not already save dual dims
/*to a parameter it just does the conversion try switch dims to see proof
/*wrtie a relation for a parameter named mm=25.4 which will convert in value to a mm one.

If we have a dimension with limits of 1 and 2 you'd want to write a relation based on the type of tolerance the dimension is set for.
this technique will not work for dimensions shown as nominal which never had tolerances set.

This really only requires 2 relaitions to set the upper and lower limit based on ProE
dim parameters as described in the sections below and a parameter "mm" or "in" set
to a conversion value to do the conversion. Here I use mm to convert d#=1 into d#mm (d#*mm).

d#p = dimension upper limit
d#m = dimension lower limit
d#p_ = metric upper limit
d#m_ = metric lower limit

I used _ because I usually show dual dims below you can use any other text character for this.

/*When you give a dimension a plusminus-symetric tolerance this value gets stored as
/* tpm# Tolerance Plus Minus so proe shows thes as d# # tpm# when displaying dim
/*
mm=25.4
d1p = d1 + tpm1
d1m = d1 - tpm1
d1p_= d1p*mm
d1m_ = d1m*mm

/*When you give a dimension a plusminus tolerance the plus tolerance gets stored as
/* tp# Tolerance Plus, and the minus tolerance gets stored as tm# Tolerance Minus so proe shows thes as &d# +&tp#/-&tm# when displaying dim
/*
mm=25.4
d2p = d2 + tp2
d2m = d2 - tm2
d2p_= d2p*mm
d2m_= d2m*mm

For the Dimension text include an to keep Pro/E from showing the dimension in the default manner.

&d#p
&d#m
[&d3p_]
[&d#m_]

Hope you don't have too many dims in your drawing that are toleranced. You may be aable to find a better way depending on what tolerance standard you set in addition to mixing other settings, which I also may look into.

Michael
[elk]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back