Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless screw to Aluminum torque values

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgauf

Bioengineer
Nov 12, 2003
US
Motor bracket is 6061, screw is 8-32 SS SHCS, threaded into 6061, torque spec is 8 ftlbs but totally insufficient, recomend 18?? Any input out there??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the problem under the current loading of the screw?
What is your thread engagement length?
What temper is the 6061?
Normally a screw torque is given in in/lbs.

drgauf,

You said your units were ft.lb. I am pretty certain you meant in.lb.

Recently, I did a screw torque chart mostly for stainless steel screws. I did not worry about the material of the tapped holes. I made a whole bunch of assumptions and I got 17 lb.in for 8-32UNC.

These assumptions are as follows...

- The holes are deep enough that the screw will fail in tension rather than shear.
- The threads will be lubricated by something, probably Loctite 242.
- The yield stress for 18-8 stainless steel is 55ksi.

That last assumption is complicated. All sorts of stress values are quoted for this material. I used 55ksi because a local vendor quoted it for his stainless steel socket head cap screws, and this was the lowest value I found. Metric cap screws in stainless are usually supposed to be A2 stainless with a tensile strength (ultimate?) of 800N/mm^2 (~115ksi). When I torque down metric screws as per my torque charts, they feel much stronger than 55ksi.

The effect of using Aluminium 6061-T6 for your tapped hole that you need to exceed some minimum thread engagement length to ensure a tensile failure of the screw. As noted above, this is worked out in the Machinery's Handbook.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back