Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless steel 304 grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

satps21

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2010
IN
I use stainless steel sheets/bars/pipes/tubes in various sophisticated areas especially in hospital theatres. Hence this has to be anti scratch and anti corrossive. Can any body help me to find some method to protect from corrossion. ALso i would like to know how to remove scratches from SS 304 grade.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have problem \that is classified as "Everything Depends".
In a hospital environment I would use 316/316L SS in lieu of 304/304L SS due to 316/316L SS being inherently better to an increase in corrosion resistance. Just remember that every SS cleaning and polishing job is different and normally requires a little experimentation.
Neither will offer better resistance to mechanical scratching.
You might want to look at the AK type coatings as the offer a scratch resistant epoxy surface. To remove scratches look at the products from Micro-Mesh and Scotch-Bite remembering that both can take off any coating.
For a gentile cleaning the Simple Green product is very good.
I assume that you are using bright finish SS. A point to remember is that if you have a bushed pattern stainless you have to follow the original pattern.

After using either the Micro-Mesh or Scotch-Brite product a coating of Shelia Shine will do wonders, or it may work by itself.

BM97GglV9GMJHM8GHbl&prodID=M4R46N0NW6gs&lang=en_US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back