Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless Steel 316L 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharr25301

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2012
GB
Hi,

Can anyone advise as to what the minimum Yield is for stainlees steel 316L?

Many Thans,

Dave.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good morning dharr,

From the "Design Guidelines for the Selection and Use of Stainless Steel" , nominal values:
Fy=42ksi(290MPa)
Fu=81ksi (558MPa)

regards,
Michel

Don't know...But I'm looking at a copy of the Mil handbook now and I don't see a specific listing for 316L. It does say the at the AMS values for AISI 301 are "applicable for 316" in certain forms. Some one who better knows the vagaries of military specs and the aerospace industry will need to sort this one out.

it might have to do with the statistics involved ... the probability of a sample being less than spec. For example i believe A basis (in Mil Hdbk 5) is 99% (that the strength will be at least the spec min) at a 95% confidence.

Also something I wasn't aware of is that according to my reference SS doesn't have "a well-defined yield point". Although both the references identify a 0.02% offset for determination of yield. One more thing that might be helpful for us terrestrial designers is a reference from ASCE "Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Stainless Steel Structural Members". I haven't see it but it specifically is purported to cover use of Type 316.

ASTM A276 covers the requirements for stainless steel.

Here are the values for A316L

Annealed
Hot Finished: 70ksi Ultimate, 25ksi Yield
Cold Finished up to 1/2" thick: 90ksi Ultimate, 45ksi Yield
Cold Finished over 1/2" thick: 70ksi Ultimate, 25ksi Yield.

Relatively Severe Cold Worked
Up to 3/4" thick: 125ksi Ultimate, 100ksi Yield
3/4" to 1": 115ksi Ultimate, 80ksi Yield
Over 1" to 1-1/4": 105ksi Ultimate, 65ksi Yield

There are several other thicknesses available for cold worked. There is also an entry for strain hardened, but I'm too lazy to type them.

I typically just use 25ksi Yield to be on the safe side.

ASTM A240 specifies 25 ksi @ 70F as the minimum yield for 316L. ASTM A240 / A240M - 12 Standard Specification for Chromium and Chromium-Nickel Stainless Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip for Pressure Vessels and for General Applications. I typically use ASTM (and specifiy ASTM material) when another reference is not available. There are similar ASTM Standards for other product forms. Yield varies with temperature so if you are at an elevated temperature this value needs to be adjusted.

BR,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back